Set SMART Goals for Yourself and Your Business
What's a SMART goal you ask? It's a goal that is specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-based.
As business people, we set all sorts of goals such as "Use social media"or "Get new leads." Both are important goals, but stating them in this way is too vague, and doesn't include any indication of what success looks like or when it will be achieved.
Set specific goals, such as "Sign up for a Facebook business account" or "Compose a spring sale email." Think about your goals in the following terms:
- Specific: Specific goals are well-defined and focused. They break large tasks down into meaningful, manageable steps or tasks that will allow you to accomplish your goal
- Measurable: Include relevant metrics so you know you're on track. Measurable can be something like "How much?" or "How many?"
- Attainable: A good goal is one that is within reach. You need success to keep you motivated and moving forward.
- Relevant: Choose goals that matter, and that are relevant to you and your organization based on the current situation of your business.
- Time-based: Set a deadline for yourself to achieve the goal. If there's no time frame attached to it, it's less likely that you will achieve your goal.
At HEROweb, our staff sets daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and even annual SMART goals. What kind of SMART goal can you set for your business for today? What about for the upcoming quarter or year? Periodically review your goals and make adjustments if necessary. There's nothing wrong with refocusing, and being SMART will help you to make the most of your time and energy.
About the Marketing Bite
Marketing Bites are short actionable tips to help you market your business. Each Bite contains a marketing idea and an easy to complete action. The Marketing Bite is emailed weekly to subscribers.
"You offer such great information - I feel like I am gaining a bigger and smarter marketing presence. Thank you so much!" -Pamela
"Thanks. I have been getting a lot of value from [the Marketing Bite]. If I need help with marketing on the web in the future, I know where to find the experts." -Jodi