Participate in Small Business Saturday
Small Business Saturday is a counterpart to Black Friday and Cyber Monday, falling on the Saturday after Thanksgiving each year. It's purpose is to increase the awareness of smaller retailers, and encourage shoppers to support them. It was conceived by American Express (and is still heavily promoted by them). If you are an AmEx cardholder, you can get up to $25 credit when shopping at a qualifying business.
American Express also offers free in-store and online promotional tools such as posters and email templates so you can spread the word. Here's some ideas for getting the word out:
- If you have a retail store, tell your customers about Small Business Saturday as they check out.
- Mention the $25 credit to customers, particularly those paying with an AmEx card.
- Include the Small Business Saturday info in all of your company emails.
- Post the free materials in your store or on your website and social media pages.
- When you package an online order, include a "Don't forget to shop small" postcard with their packing slip.
- Post to your social media page to remind people to "shop small."
Visit the American Express Small Business Saturday marketing page and download your free marketing tools to encourage people to "shop small" throughout the year.
About the Marketing Bite
Marketing Bites are short actionable tips to help you market your business. Each Bite contains a marketing idea and an easy to complete action. The Marketing Bite is emailed weekly to subscribers.
"You offer such great information - I feel like I am gaining a bigger and smarter marketing presence. Thank you so much!" -Pamela
"Thanks. I have been getting a lot of value from [the Marketing Bite]. If I need help with marketing on the web in the future, I know where to find the experts." -Jodi